2022 is a very special year for Reflex as we celebrate 20 years of business.
From our humble beginnings as a single UK-based printing site managed by just a handful of staff to a multi-site, multi-faceted business, spanning six countries and looking after some of the biggest brands in the world – it’s fair to say we have come a very long way.
But reaching 20 years doesn’t mean we’re about to sit back and take it easy. In fact, the last few months have been among some of the busiest we’ve ever experienced (more on that soon!)
However, we couldn’t let this important milestone pass without marking the occasion in true Reflex style and so over the next few weeks, we’ll be celebrating some of the biggest events in our company’s history, taking a closer look at where we are today, and revealing some exciting future plans.
Sit back and hold tight, this ride is about to get even more exciting…
Sustainability in our DNA
Reflex was built from the ground upon a foundation of true respect for the environment. We set in stone our key mission “to become the world’s most sustainable packaging company” a very long time ago and have been working towards this goal ever since.
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do, and this is reflected in every business decision made, from lighting to landfill and everything in between.
Here’s a quick rundown of some of our biggest sustainability achievements to date:
- Over the last few years, we have partnered with Forest Carbon to plant over 50,000 trees in Cumbria and Scotland
- And as a result, we are now BEYOND NET ZERO. By 2030 we’ll have gone even further and captured the entire volume of carbon emitted since the day the company was founded in 2002
- In 2018 we began our ambitious programme of solar panel installations, starting in Leicester and Mansfield with more to follow this year
- We also invested in wind turbines at our Boston site and plan to roll these out across multiple sites over the next year or so
- LED lighting has been installed at all of our manufacturing sites
- 100% of our energy now comes from renewable sources, saving over 4,000 tonnes of CO2 annually
- The majority of our fleet of cars are now either electric or hybrid vehicles
- And we continually invest in state-of-the-art machinery that helps to reduce both energy and material usage – great for both the environment and our customers
- We avoid sending as much of our waste as possible to landfill, instead turning it into a source of power
- This year we also got the Reflex teams involved, actively asking for ideas on how we can reduce our waste even further, awarding prizes for the best ideas
- In 2021 we became proud sponsors of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and will continue to support charities doing vital environmental work
Early last year we announced the launch of Reflex Pack Plus, a brand-new lined board division providing fully recyclable packaging options for multiple sectors, including fresh produce, bakery, and food to go.
Marks and Spencer loved this packaging so much that in July they rolled it out across their stores, giving their British Collection vine tomatoes a packaging upgrade and thus removing an estimated eight million units of plastic by the end of this year in the process.
In recognition of our sustainability efforts and innovative recyclable packaging options, we won the prestigious Environmental & Sustainability Award at The Sammies in May, which really was the cherry (tomato) on the cake!
But we don’t intend to stop there and have lots more to announce over the coming months – keep an eye on our sustainability page or news and insights section on our new website to be the first to hear about our eco-friendly product launches, energy-efficient updates, and carbon-saving innovations.
The Reflex family is growing
We kicked off 2022 in style with the announcement that we had acquired Macfarlane Labels, which expanded our operation into Scotland, Ireland, and Sweden, and saw us welcoming over 100 new employees in the process.
We now operate from over twenty-five sites across six countries, with a full end-to-end offering, and employ over 800 staff.
And we’re pleased to announce that in our 20th Year we’ve expanded into….
Poland, Norway, and Australia!
Watch this space for more news on that coming soon.
Following the acquisition of Macfarlane Labels and the success of the inaugural Scottish Retail Food and Drink Awards in 2021, we were proud to become the headline sponsors for these fantastic awards once again this year.
And because it’s our 20th anniversary, we wanted to make this year even more special by giving any food and drink producers who entered the awards the opportunity to benefit from the knowledge and expertise of our Reflex packaging experts…and so we created the Reflex Academy.
Later this year, along with experts from our creative agency, Graphic Brands, the Reflex Academy will welcome four shortlisted entrants onto a packaging masterclass where they will benefit from expert advice and consultancy on every aspect of their packaging. From design to packaging innovation we’re going to cover it all, and one academy entrant will win their newly designed packaging for free.
Sharing knowledge is something we’re passionate about and we can’t wait to open the Reflex Academy doors to more food and drink producers over the coming years.
Let’s get this show on the road
To further celebrate 20 years of packaging innovation, we’re taking the very best of what we do out on the road!
We love nothing more than being able to share our work with customers, suppliers, and packaging industry peers, so this year we’ll be visiting THREE top industry events where we’ll be showcasing FIVE Reflex divisions.
- Lunch! | 14-15 September | London Excel | Come along to meet our Pack+ [Stand L311] colleagues (look out for those M&S punnets!) and Reseal-it [Stand L111] to learn about packaging that can be opened and closed multiple times
- London Packaging Week | 21-22 September | London Olympia | Feast your eyes on our luxury Reflex Label+ [Stand B70] brand and learn more about the Reflex Group [Stand M60] selection of packaging products
- PPMA Total | 27-29 September | Birmingham NEC | Here our Reflex Systems [Stand G60] division will be chatting about all things labelling equipment
Last year at Lunch! We revealed a fully recyclable cardboard exhibition stand – the first of its kind within the printing and packaging industry. We cannot wait to show you what we’ve been working on this year!
We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank every single one of our amazing customers, suppliers, and employees for their help, support, and dedication over the past 20 years.
Some of you have been with us from the very beginning and all of you have helped to shape the company into what it is today.
Here’s to the next 20 years, we hope you’ll join us on the next part of our exciting journey.